5 Tips to Remain Nicotine-Free
- Talk – connect with others. Sharing how you feel with friends and family provides a support network.
- Identify your smoking triggers – when do you feel the urge to smoke? What were your habits as a smoker…drinking coffee, after a disagreement, driving…? Recognise your triggers and have a plan to deal with them…avoidance, distraction…do what works best for you.
- Reward yourself – set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach each one e.g. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc.
- Be gentle with yourself – take it one day at a time, don’t blame or criticise yourself if you slip. Be patient with yourself, persevere with kindness.
- Distraction – find small tasks to do that keep your hands busy e.g. play with a rubber band, stress ball, munch on a carrot, chewing gum, doodle etc.